Sunday, May 31, 2009

Life is life!


Well, if you look over to the side you can read that I am a grad student. And while I technically still am, since I have yet to defend my dissertation, all the pomp says I am a no longer a student.

Yes, I walked... I got a velvet hood draped around my neck... I tipped my hat at some Australian guy because we weren't allowed to shake hands (damn them sick pigs!)...

So here I am. An expert in astronomical observations and data reduction; I have done photometry, stellar spectroscopy, time analysis of variables, statistical studies, extragalactic work... I have basically done the work of two PhD projects... It cost me most of my friends, my marriage, many years of my life... An in return I get a fuzzy cape.

Good thing I love capes.


And we're all glad it's over
We thought it would last
Every minute of the future
Is a memory of the past
Coz' we gave all the power
We gave all the best
And everyone lost everything
And perished with the rest.
Life is life!

2 comments:

Danelle said...

YAY for capes! Good to see you on blogger. I added your site to my page. Okay, I've been a huge slacker when it's come to updating my page. I'll get on that. Anyway, CONGRATS Kevin! All that pomp shows that you are nearing completion with the PhD in Astronomy, and you'll have it very soon! Good work! I can't believe you've done the work of TWO PhDs. You definitely should get two.

Elizabeth said...

Those are some pretty awesome shoes. And I see you went with the regular mortar board, rather than the pillow cap. Haha...the pillow cap. Remember when we used to joke about that? Anyway, I'm so jealous they let you walk, even though you haven't defended. I have to wait, even though I have to be done this summer. Sigh. But you look pretty snazzy